Choosing the right dance school for your child can be a difficult decision to make. So we have put together a few pointers to help you make the best choice.
- Firstly ask for recommendations from friends. If your friends have experience of a particular dance school – who better to ask than that? They will give you free impartial advice. They can tell you if their own child enjoys the classes, if it seems a good environment and if they have any concerns regarding the school.
- Now, all schools should make the time a child spends with them fun and enjoyable, but don’t forget that you are paying the school for training as well. How do you know that the training your child is receiving, in a discipline you may not have a great deal of knowledge about, is as good as it can be? Below are some questions to ask to help you decide.
- Teachers. Are they qualified? Are they experienced? Do they have DBS checks? Are they First Aid Trained?
- Syllabus. Which syllabus does the dance school follow?
- Exams. How often does the school enter students for exams? What are their results?
- Progress. How long can you expect your child to take to move through the grades? How far can the school take your child if he/she begins to take it seriously? What have past students achieved?
- Schools Programme. What is the range of disciplines and styles your child can experience? If you want your child to take various classes, your own timetable will be so much easier if all the classes are organised within one dance school.
- Performance. All children love to perform, so what are the performance opportunities? Does the dance school enter students for Festivals or Competitions? If so what are their results? Do they have success locally? Do they have success nationally?
Our Graded classes up to Grade 6 generally have no set maximum number, however in larger classes we bring in assistant teachers to ensure that each child in the class is fully engaged and receives the attention they need to maximise their own potential. We also have the facilities and staffing available to split larger classes, depending on circumstances, if that is in the best interests of the students. We make sure that each child enjoys their class time and that each parent can see the results. All of our assistants are training at Advanced Level.